Sunday, July 28, 2019

Experimental Marbling

I recently attended a workshop doing experimental marbling, Turkish style, by artist Bronwyn Rayner (instagram raynbowcrowstudios).

Although marbling is not part of my usual art practice, it was great fun and very relaxing.  A bit like gelatine monoprinting but more freeform and delicate.   I did lots of prints on paper as well as marbling 3D objects like fans, pots, and rocks.

I also managed to marble lots of japanese papers like kozo and book pages - these lighter weight papers will be perfect to use for chine colle with my drypoints.


Bronwyn showing me how to marble a fan -
harder than it looks!

Lightly pressing the fan onto the marbled surface.

The completed fan - I'm all
sorted for summer now!
We marbled leaves as well - gorgeous!
Using a pipette to drop the colour.
I love the circular organic shapes at this stage.

Using a wooden skewer to create a design.
This is the really fun bit!

I love big swirls and drops, rather than
fine designs.

Lifting the marbled paper out of the tray -
so exciting (and wet)!

One of my favourites - marbled paper
from a Japanese book

Another bold design that I love!

No comments:

Post a Comment