Some of the works produced during the workshop are proposed to be included in an upcoming travelling exhibition, and as lead artist, I was also invited to submit some works.... what fun!
My approach was not my usual - proceed straight to my studio, drag out 'Thumper' my etching press and start printing. Instead I looked through my folio and found some bee related works I completed late last year and started cutting them up.
I've used this approach before - cutting up old prints to create paper installations. In this situation, I cut up the bee prints into hexagons to use in a collage. The prints were originally done on grey coloured Stonehenge paper which provides a lovely background tone to the prints.
I also incorporated cuttings from a technical book relating to pollen. I think the text and drawings from this book add a scientific feel to the prints.
The 3 resulting artworks are named "Under the Microscope", monotype and collage on paper.
|One of the old works, 'Society' 4/4|
|'Under the Microscope I', monotype + collage, 12cm x 12cm|
|'Under the Microscope II', monotype + collage, 12cm x 12cm|
|'Under the Microscope III', monotype + collage, 12cm x 12cm|