Using the red cabbage / alum / copper sulphate mix, I achieved some lovely results. I collected some eucalypt leaves from my local park, but also tried a few plants from my garden.
I'll use the resulting eco-prints to make notebooks to sell at markets later this year. I also intend to make a concertina artist book with the large pieces.
|My stash of rusty metal bits|
|The brew - I cut up the red cabbage and put it into a laundry|
bag to get the colour started. I removed the bag before dyeing
to make space for my bundles.
And it looks purple, but dyes blue/green/grey.
|Making a bundle.|
My technique is usually stuff in as much as you can,
but I decided to be a bit more conservative!
|My bundles ready to go into the pot.|
I use large 'paddle-pop' sticks (also known as tongue depressers I think?)
and rubber bands. I sometimes use tiles and clips but
that takes up too much room in the pot.
|After 45 minutes simmering and maybe a bit of 'sitting' time,|
I remove my bundles from the brew to cool before I unwrap them.
Patience is the key!
|Unbundling - the best part of the process!|
|I love the dark marks that the rusty bottletop has made.|
It contrasts really well with the brew colour (greeny/blue/grey)
and the leaf print.
|The prints lighten as they darken -this one is still wet.|
The purples lightened somewhat but still a beautiful print.
|Wonderful marks and moody darks.|
|A clear leaf print. The advantage of the cabbage brew|
is that the brew colour doesn't dominate
like an iron brew (my favourite).
|Lots of prints for notebooks. |
Might be hard to part with them though!