Saturday, July 31, 2010

Altered Book Project

One of the many things I'm working on at the moment is an Altered Book project, with a group of like-minded paper lovers.  This is the first time I've tried altered books.  I get to work on someone's book for a month, usually with a set theme.

This month I've been working on Jenni's book.  She has no theme, so its totally up to me what I do with the pages of her Sherlock Holmes detective story book.  I decided on a retro theme using vintage sewing patterns, see the image below.  I was inspired by a recent project led by Jenni making baskets from paper patterns.  I hope Jenni enjoys my "Sherlock Holmes Fashion Investigation" and my weird sense of humour....

Also pictured are some retro pattern magazines I picked up for 50cents at an Opportunity Shop this morning, I can't wait to start chopping them up for book pages and other fantastic paper projects.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like fun Sandra...
    just quickly...having a little time out after a hugelty busy time..will email VERY soon!
    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of the altered book with the sewing pattern figures is so clever. Wish I had thought of that! I have a suitcase full of old dress patterns and I'm always trying to think of ways to incorporate the tissue or the packets into things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely going to try this! I'm making a mini-book with some of the Couture by Graphics 45 and will add my own fashions to it. I'm definitely going to try putting in a few pages like this. Another place for more modern inspiration would be those Fashion catalogs from the very expensive stores like Neiman's. Just lots of great pics of models!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous idea, Im very inspired & going to have a go, got the pics cut out...omwards & upwards

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im looking forward to seei g your work . Ive made so many Altered books for gifts . I have a hard time parting with them tho. I have lots of old paper dolls too.

    ReplyDelete