Firstly, for an upcoming hospital exhibition, I needed to print very large - my plate was 68cm x 46cm - the largest monoprints I ever done. The large size provided a few interesting compositional challenges, and I also had to make use of my large studio etching press (which is always a pleasure to work with!).
I also wanted to try a new style of just one major colour, highlighted with a black image. That's quite a challenge for me, given I tend towards 4+ colours and tons of mark making. Holding back and keeping it minimal isn't easy!
Because I was working big, I did some smaller test prints just to see how my theory would work. It turned out to be a great idea and gave me plenty of confidence when I had to tackle the bigger prints.
Three of the six successful prints will be exhibited for six months in a local private hospital, alongside some scrub turkey and leaf prints. I have titled this Magpie series 'The Sentinel' referencing the territorial behaviour of magpies.
|This was my paper soaking 'tray' - a garbage bag as I didn't have a tray or|
tub large enough! Not perfect but worked OK.
|In progress - leaves and Magpie stencil|
|Of course I printed with my favourite colour - Aqua....!|
I just love it on these gorgeous gum leaves.
|One of the finish prnts. I couldn't help myself and snuck a|
bit of green in there to add a bit of 'pop'!
|This print is just aqua with the black caroling Magpie.|
Simple and as minimalist as I can get!
I'll blog next week about the second series of monoprints that I did over the holidays.