Back in January, I blogged about a series of monoprints for an exhibition "Women of Substance", see my post here. The seven monoprints that I created for the exhibition and folio boxes are all sold or accounted for, the remaining print was a gift to my mother, who was the subject of the print.
I was recently asked whether I had any more of these prints, perhaps an artists proof. Sadly with monoprints, there are no artists proofs (or test prints or the first prints in an edition). Every print is a unique print, some work and some don't. And the variable 'edition' is as many prints as I wish to make in that series.
Hence, to fulfil the commission, for the first time I needed to replicate my monoprint.
Luckily I found where I had stored my stencils, and because I blogged about the print, I had great documentation about my colours and what objects I used.
But the process was still a challenge, and the monoprints that I've produced in this second run are different from the first run. There are subtle differences in how I mixed the colours and how I applied the ink and the objects.
The mysterious and free process of monoprinting has many rewards and I never know what the outcome will be even when I'm repeating a print process like this. Below are 3 of the 10 prints in this new series. There are another six that I rejected...maybe they will be the content for an artist book someday....nothing is ever wasted!