So I'm abstaining from op shops for a while (sigh) and am determined to reuse and reorganise my stash.
My first project was to repurpose some small concertina books. I made these using gelli-plate prints some time ago and never did anything with them.
I also decided to challenge myself and try something new. I searched through my books (in my book 'stash', another example of using what I already had) and found Alisa Golden's 'Making Handmade Books'. Its one of my favourite books, having a wide variety of techniques with easy to follow instructions.
Step 1 - I deconstructed the concerntina books to create two covers. The inner section will be included as a page within the signatures. I then made a hard spine from a scrap of board and a gelli plate print. The photo below is the outside view of the covers and its new spine.
Step 2 - I then sewed the spine and covers together. A rather tricky stitch, working with the boards flat and leaving a gap between the spine and the covers. The photo below is the view from the inside of the book.
Step 3 - To complete the book, I sewed the signatures to the spine, looping the thread around the stitches created in the previous step. A curved needle made this so much easier to do.
What I like about the finished book is the decorative stitching on the outside. And its surprisingly stable, given that the pages are only sewn on using a looping action.
It was very fiddly to stitch so I don't think I'll be doing a lot of books using this binding, but it was enjoyable to try something a bit different. And to chip away a little bit of the stash....