This year I led a session on EcoDyed Paper, based on a technique I learnt from India Flint in September. Subsequent experiments at home revealed that I could dye the paper without having to sew silk onto it first. I have an aversion to hand sewing, thus skipping this step was quite a relief for me!
The results at the Cookup session were fantastic - the colours and marks came up beautifully using onion skins, metal objects, black grape skin, and eucalypt leaves, amongst other things. The girls were so surprised that such success could be achieved without chemicals.
We had exceptional outcomes using Micador Raines Watercolour paper - 300gsm with very little sizing - it soaked up the colours in the dye bath beautifully. Not surprisingly we cleared the shelves of Raines paper at Oxlades that same afternoon!
Keep a look out on my blog for more photos, as I continue with my dyeing experiments.
|The bundles ready to dye - |
we ran out of paddle pop sticks
due to enthusiastic bundling
|Bundles coming out of the dye pot - note the rich 'black' brew!|