Monday, November 5, 2018

Riding, camping and sketching

I love it when I can incorporate my art practice into my travels, I feel like I'm capturing a moment of the new place I'm in.

Over the past few months, my partner Craig and I have been doing short bike rides with overnight camping in the local D'Aguilar National Park, within an hour of my home.  Its a no-fuss low-cost excuse to indulge our love of camping.

As the campsite isn't accessible by motor vehicles, its peaceful, quiet and we get it all to ourselves.  Our most recent excursion was to the Lightline Road Camp, a beautiful spot in the middle of the forest.  It had great facilities though no toilet or shower, which I'm OK to give up for one night.  I love the extensive local birdlife, with a melody of whip birds, bell birds and wrens surrounding the camp.

As this is a very lightweight camp (Craig carries most of the gear in his bike trailer), I have to pare down my art supplies to the very basic - a couple of pens/pencils and some paper.  But its all I need. I think its distracting to have too many art supplies when I only have an hour or two of light to work in.  Keeping it simple makes me focus on just doing something rather than deciding what materials to use.

The camp with Craig's bike and trailer in the foreground.
I carry our food in a backpack, so I get the easy job!

My sketching kit,  - 1 pen, 2 pencils, and two pieces of cardboard
secured with rubber bands holding a few sheets of toned paper.
I carried it in my backpack.

The contents of my sketching kit and some leaves,
and also the necessary glasses to help me see what
I'm doing!

Sketching quietly, listening to the birdsong
and the wind rustling through the canopy of trees.
A leaf and the subsequent drawing.
That's all I had time to do before I lost the light.
Not a masterpiece but fun to do - worth taking my kit for.

Relaxing by the fire before dinner.
Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment