I used four colours - black, aqua, brown, and dark purple. The process of printing the monotypes mixes these colours to create hybrids and plenty of interest. Some of the printmaking papers I used were beige coloured which also tones the ink colours in the print.
All papers were soaked for 10 seconds and worked with damp.
When I have a printing session, I like to stick with the same colours and objects for the whole day. I just play around with composition and the order of colours, letting the objects and plate mix the ink to create complexity of marks and colour. That's where the magic happens, even in something as simple as this wren series.
Some of these wren prints will be framed in cute aqua frames I found at a home decorating store, others in basic beige frames. I bought the frames first, then sized the print papers to fit. I find that's the most economical way to work as framing can be so expensive.
|An afternoon of printing...lots of little wren prints|
|One of my favourites... I love the whispy effect of the|
|This one is pretty interesting too....|
|One of the first prints, not as much detail,|
but a greater intensity of colour
|This one will need more work - I think the wren blends into|
the background too much. When the print is dry, I'll use a fine coloured
marker to trace around the wren to bring him back into focus.