For my project, I selected a range of different fern fronds. I'm obsessed about ferns, and use them a lot in my monoprints, so it seemed fitting to try them out with this sunprinting process. Previously I have used ferns and the sun to do prints on t-shirts, see my blog post here.
I exposed the ferns onto the paper with my solar etching frame for about 2 minutes in the sun, then rinsed in water for a minute.
|Exposing in the sun|
|After sun exposure, you can see where the fern was on|
the paper. Rinsing in water causes the colour to develop.
I then used a re-purposed box to house the book, which is in a simple concertina format on blue card. I also included a poem that I wrote in haiku style:
pattern stippled into shade
I've photographed the book insitu - a rainforest floor, complete with maidenhair fern, mossy logs and leaf litter. Appropriate I thought, given the title of the book 'Understorey'.
Creating the book allowed me to explore a variety of fern imagery, concentrating on shape and pattern, with a simple non-messy process.