Thursday, May 7, 2015

Buzzing with drypoint and monoprinting

In my studio I recently created a drypoint plate of a bee, using a piece of smooth plastic and an etching needle.  Drypoint is a form of intaglio printmaking, where the ink is forced into an etched line and then printed.

This is my drypoint plate and my etching tool which
I used to draw the lines into the plastic.

This is one of my first test prints.
 I've hand coloured it with gold ink.
I printed my bee drypoint plate several times (called an 'edition'), reinking between prints. I then used my Gelli-Arts Printing Plate to create a monoprint background, using gold and brown acrylic paint with a stencil and paper circles.  I made a paper silhouette of the bee image which I held over the drypoint print when monoprinting, so it wouldn't get printed over.


My chicken wire stencil, which looks like honeycomb
when printed.  The stencil is made of plastic not wire, so it
doesn't damage the gelli plate.

You can see from the images below that each print becomes a one-of-a-kind artwork even though the drypoint bee image is repeated in each one.

With the monoprint in the background, I was aiming for an impression of a hive. In some prints the paint is a lot brighter and the imagery sharper than in others.  And that's what I love about monoprinting - no two prints are ever the same.




1 comment:

  1. I recently signed up for updates from your site, but was away when this hit my inbox, which I am cleaning up now. THIS is terrific. So charming, and it is giving me lots of inspiration, stencil-wise.

    ReplyDelete