Sunday, July 31, 2022

On my studio journey

Its been a while between blog posts which is entirely reflective of the busyness of my art practice since I opened my popup studio at Chermside in April.

For those following my progress on Instagram and Facebook, its been a wonderful time in my little studio - some new friends made and lots of learnings about how to manage my own studio space.

One of the major drawbacks of the Chermside studio was its small size.  At only 7metres by 3.5metres, it couldn't accommodate all of my printmaking equipment and more than 4 people.  It was cosy but at the same time, stifling and frustrating to have my printmaking resources spread between my home studio and the Chermside studio.

And then all my birthday cake wishes came true.... in the form of a long-time friend who has invested funds into a new studio space from which I will operate a community art studio.

The new studio is spacious but not overwhelming, around 200m2 in a semi-industrial unit in Banyo.  Lots of concrete and glass windows. From the outside, there's nothing inspiring about it, but my partner Craig and I have been busy over the last few weeks transforming it into an arts hub.

The renovation and fitout work will continue for another month, there's lots to do, but there'll be a big opening celebration and everyone is invited!

From the outside - lots of 
concrete but inside - heaps of potential

Before the renovations started,
a blank canvas

Demolition and repainting of
the main studio space 

Upstairs, lovely windows.
This space will have plants and
 lots of tables to work at.



2 comments:

  1. What a joyous and marvellous adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on taking this next step. Well done.

    ReplyDelete