Sunday, January 30, 2022

Playing around without expectations

My 2022 resolution is to play more in my studio without expectations (but still enjoy cake at least once a week!).  I want to work without outcomes, meaning that what I do in my arts practice is for myself rather than for a specific outcome driven by external requirements.  Like making work for an upcoming exhibition.  Why not just make work for the enjoyment of it?

A few weeks ago I participated in a workshop by a local artist as part of a gallery run public program.  A simple idea - just play with paint and drawing materials.  Just the usual materials - pastels, ink, watercolour, pens, paper, brushes.  Nothing special, no fancy self-made stick tools and homemade walnut ink but just an emphasis on PLAY.  Scary at first - what, no rules????  But then, yippee!  I couldn't quite unleash my inner 'Pollock' due to the carpet flooring and limited table space, but I got lost in the mark making anyway.

I went home with several large sheets of watercolour paper decorated.  I responded by de-constructing some of the sheets to make books.  They are only half-done, I consider what I have already done to be backgrounds and sometime when I feel the need just to play, perhaps on our upcoming caravan travels, I can take out a pen and get lost in the mark making again.  Just because it feels good.

Why not?


Banksia inspired,
working from memory, feeling
my way around the seductive cone shapes

scribbling, pushing, blobbing, blowing,
flowing

Back in my studio,
I folded and cut the large sheets up
to form a 'snake' concertina books


I glued some sections together to
form more of a codex book form


I then added covers made from box board
and mulberry paper - I love the feel
of a sturdy cover and the mulberry
paper is so lovely to pat.....
now they are ready to work into
when I'm ready.


1 comment:

  1. I am determined to 'play' more this year as well. At the moment the play is slightly purposeful, but is exciting. I ended up giving myself permission by describing it as Experimental Time...I will get to owning the word play sometime, but for now I've started!

    ReplyDelete