Tuesday, April 21, 2020

The Artist is in Residence - playing with drypoint

Week 4 of lockdown and I'm getting more comfortable with my new 'normal' routine.

I think I can admit at this stage that having more time at home doesn't equate to a productive art studio.  There's still plenty of distractions - beautiful weather, bike rides, kayaking adventures in local creeks, a large backyard habitat garden to maintain, art webinars, applying for funding, all those yummy recipes I've wanted to try, and neglected sewing projects that I was waiting for that spare time to tackle.

So for this week's artist in residence at home, I have only managed to play around with some drypoint printing of wrens and Willy Wag Tails.  I had taken some photos of these cute birds at home and on past camping trips, so it was time to use the photos to make some small drypoints.

I like these simple prints, just a bird, no background, to bring out the bird's character and appeal.

As usual, not all goes to plan.....

Drawing on the plate using source photograph

Applying textures using sandpaper, this
holds the tone on the plate

First print from that plate....URGH!
Not at all the result I wanted, after a couple more prints
I decided that it was the plate that was the problem.
Time to start again.

The new plate in progress, just a simple outline to start with.

A print from the new plate, with the simple outline.
Needs a lot of work, but I've been distracted
gardening, sewing, cycling, kayaking etc etc.
Work in Progress!

A cute wren photograph I took on a camping trip

Print from my drypoint plate.

Willy Wag Tail in my garden.
Willy Wag Tail print.

Testing out hand colouring using watercolours on a photocopy.
Red?  Green? Sepia? 
Handcoloured print.
The yellow ochre paint helps to give the
print a lift and highlight the bird.  So cute!

4 comments:

  1. Love the two wrens print and the ochre, hand coloured one! I assume that you re using damp paper, oil based ink and printing press?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for your comments. Yes I use dampened printmaking paper, Soy-based Akua inks (low toxic and they wipe easy), and I print small ones like this with my Xcut Die-cut machine. I have a large etching press but its quicker to use my Xcut.

      Delete
  2. Anything printed is of interest to me. I do a lot of nature printing. Thanks for sharing this is something I have never done.
    Do you need a printing press? I have been drawing little birds lately so this was so much fun to see !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dar! No you don't need a printing press, but to get the pressure you really need for a good print you should try a pasta maker (small prints) or a diecut machine (scrapbooking equipment). I printed my birds using an Xcut Die-cut machine.

      Delete